Still & Bedford has a uniquely rich and long established history in eye care excellence.

1948 – Mr Douglas Still qualifies as an Optometrist

1950 – He opens his own Opticians practice from his house in Highfield Road, Bournemouth. It is named DC Still. In the years that followed he writes articles for the Optometry journals, is elected on to the Dorset Local Optical Committee and The British Standards Council to advise on optical matters.

1977 – Mr Jonathan Bedford and his wife Katharine qualify as Optometrists. They both studied Optometry at City University London. During their studies Jonathan and Katharine develop a particular interest in Low Vision and the visual problems of children and adults with special needs and/or learning disabilities. Katharine receives 3 awards for her graduate thesis on the subject.

1980 – Mr Jonathan Bedford is invited to join Mr Still’s Opticians practice in Highfield Road as well as being elected on to Dorset Local Optical Committee. Jonathan and Katharine work together with Mr Still, several other Optometrists, Consultant Ophthalmologist Mr Martin Pitts-Crick and Consultant Diabetologist Mr Ronald Hill to set up one of the first Diabetic Eye Screening schemes in the country. They also went on to help set up the Local Glaucoma Monitoring Scheme.

1982 – The practice was renamed Still & Bedford when Mr Jonathan Bedford and his wife Katharine took on the practice from Mr Still.

1985 – The Low Vision Clinic closed at the Hospital Eye Unit and Mr Jonathan Bedford saw a need to bring the Low Vision Service in to the local community. Mr Jonathan Bedford with the Chief Executive of the Local Health Service and Local Optical Committee develops the Community Low Vision Service that is still operational in Dorset.

1990 – Mr Douglas Still fully retires from practicing as an Optometrist.

1994 – Rachel Edwards joins as Practice Manager. Achieving Optical Practice Support levels 2 & 3 from The Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers and receives as WCSM prize for her contributions. Rachel is a key member at Still & Bedford and manages the day to day running of the practice to this day.

2017 – Mr Daniel Plant joins the practice as resident Dispensing Optician following the retirement of Alan Estherby after 29 years of service.

2019 – Still & Bedford relocates to newly refurbished premises at 922 Wimborne Road, Bournemouth. Mr Jonathan Bedford and all his staff are all working from the new premises. Mrs Katharine Bedford has now retired from practicing as an Optometrist.

2020 – Still & Bedford is now a fully private practice with the exception of NHS Low Vision Service and NHS Glaucoma Shared Care Service. Mr Jonathan Bedford has now retired from practicing as an Optometrist.

Still & Bedford is approaching over 70 years of serving the eye care needs of the community and has invested in an OptoMap imaging system which is 1 of only 2 in Dorset.

Still & Bedford is 1 of 12 practices in Dorset with a community Low Vision Service.